Recipe graciously provided by our friends at Lighter, who are using plant-based science to help the world eat better.
This creamy lemon sauce is rich and light at the same time, and it perfectly pairs protein-packed beans and the fresh flavors of Vitamin C-rich fresh broccoli and zucchini. All served over whole grain pasta, this dish is a decadent (and secretly nutritious) dinner.
- 3 tbsps Cashews
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 tsp Low-sodium soy sauce/tamari
- 1/4 cup No-salt canned cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened soy/nut/rice milk
- 1/2 head Fresh broccoli
- 1/4 cup Pasta (Whole-grain or GF)
- 1 tbsp Nutritional yeast
- 1/2 Zucchini
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 tsp Olive oil
1. Produce Prep: Rinse the fresh broccoli and zucchini. Cut the fresh broccoli and zucchini into bite-size pieces, removing the woody ends. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze out the juice in a separate container, removing the seeds as you do so. Peel the garlic.
2. In a food processor or blender, combine the cashews, half of the lemon juice, unsweetened soy/nut/rice milk, garlic, soy sauce and nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth.
3. Prepare the whole grain pasta according to the directions on the box.
4. In a large pan or wok, add the olive oil and bring up to medium heat. (To make this recipe oil-free, omit the olive oil and use water.) Add the fresh broccoli and zucchini and saute for 3 minutes.
5. Add the sauce to the pan with the vegetables. Sitr it in, and then reduce heat to low. Simmer for a few more minutes, stirring frequently, until the sauce has thickened somewhat.
6. Rinse and drain the canned cannellini beans.
7. Remove the sauce mixture from heat. Add the beans and drained pasta to the pan and stir to coat. Pour the remaining lemon juice over the pasta and stir to combine. Serve warm!